Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Spirit

I finally have the time to actually write a post! I am sorry that I came onto the scene so abruptly and then kind of fizzled off (school took over my life). I have now made my journey home for Thanksgiving and I figured that it's time to post.

About two weeks ago, I visited with my bishop, he is such a wonderful man. He has known that I deal with SSA for almost a year now. It has been a really good experience for me because he is always there when I am struggling and he always knows the right things to say when I am discouraged, sad, lonely, depressed, etc., etc., etc. He's great and I love having him know about my struggles with SSA! My advice is that if you feel comfortable talking to your bishop, you should because he provides so much wisdom, knowledge, and help (Calvin has recently had a good experience with his bishop).

In my last meeting with my bishop, it was my monthly check-up. He called me in because he wanted to see how I was doing, to see if I was making any progress with dating this one beautiful girl (I am!), and to provide me with some counsel he felt impressed to tell me. We talked about the first two topics and then we dove into the counsel. We entered the scriptures and we started talking about the Spirit. We then had a discussion about how it can be a powerful tool of help and how it can guide you out of your toughest trials/situations. We then dove back into the scriptures and looked at the ways you can know for a surety that you have the Spirit. Together, we formulated this list:

1. You feel happy, calm, and clear minded
2. You feel generous
3. Nobody can offend you
4. You wouldn't mind everyone seeing what you are doing
5. You are eager to be with people and you want to make them happy
6. You are glad when other succeed
7. You are glad to attend your meetings and participate in church activities
8. You feel like praying
9. You wish that you could keep all of the Lord's commandments
10. You feel in control (My bishop added what he thought in control meant) - You don't overeat or sleep too much, you don't feel uncontrollably drawn to sensational entertainment, you don't lose your temper, and you don't feel uncontrollable passions or desires
11. You think about the Savior often and lovingly and you want to know him better
12. You feel confident and you are glad to be alive

I think that this is a great list of knowing when you have the Spirit and that it's inspired from God. I hope that you all enjoy it, that you agree with it, and that you'll use it to help guide your life. Remember that the Spirit is a powerful tool for help and guidance, but that you have to be worthy to partake of it's blessings. Please try to be worthy of it because I know that it has helped me in many situations that could have been potentially dangerous for me.

6 comments:

Sean said...

Thanks for this great list on knowing when you have the Spirit! I agree with you on all of the points you put out there. There are probably more that you could add, but it is still a pretty comprehensive list that I think nobody can deny.

I agree with you on the Spirit too. It has been such a blessing my life. I love having it with me and I love the guidance it gives me. I too wish that everybody will be worthy to have the Spirit so it can be a constant influence of good in their lives. :)

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

"You wouldn't mind everyone seeing what you are doing"

Then why are you hiding behind a pseudonym?

Abinadi said...

Anonymous,

I would say for the same reason why you are hiding behind the pseudonym of "anonymous." Right now, I really not comfortable with people knowing who I am because of the all powerful Facebook and Stalkernet of BYU. There may be a day that I will be comfortable and reveal my true identity, but as for right now, I will stay as Abinadi (he's my favorite prophet).

I also think that I was hiding before. I have been reading others blogs for about 6 months now. I have never said anything and I just sat and watched. I have finally decided to speak my mind and let others know how I feel about the church. So I think that is a healthy step in allowing people to see what I am doing, even though they don't know my true identity.

PS Nobody is perfect and I feel like in my everyday life I show people what I truly believe by my actions and I am not ashamed of who I am and the way I live my life.

PPS Is knowing who I am really that important to you? If so, email me and we can talk more.

One of So Many said...

Welcome to the MOHO blogging world. As a new "convert" there are defiantly some amazing people to lean on for support. I look forward to your next post.

Anonymous said...

You missed the irony.

GeckoMan said...

Abinadi, this is a lovely post. Thank you for sharing your list.